10.16.2012

FUNDS: Let's talk about money!

While I type this, Bills, Bills, Bills by Destiny's Child is running a loop in my head...coincidence? Last night, I was able to attend a great little event to really kick off Homeless Children's Awareness Week. Granted, I was pretty much hounded into going by Isaac, who was one of the speakers, and Trent, who was the MC, but I am so glad that I was able to go.

Logo for HCEF.
The event, FUNDS: True Stories About Money, was an evening of first-person storytelling and was beyond entertaining. It was held at James Street Gastropub and Speakeasy, which was a perfect venue with a great vibe and wonderful food and drinks. And while I may (okay I do) have a biased opinion, I loved Isaac's story the most but also adored that so many people participated in telling their hilarious, thought provoking and heartwarming stories. From learning about the generosity of a man in Haiti, the feeling of bouncing checks, finding a prostitute's jump-drive, figuring out the best gifts from boys usually aren't expensive...or in that storyteller's case, expected, and of course, Isaac's tales of growing up on a farm, each story connected back in some way to money and how the storyteller related to it at some point in their lives. It was interesting to hear so many different stories especially when all I could think about was how I was spoiled with money and other blessings (like a cleaning lady for our house) growing up and now am figuring out ways to pay for everything myself. Thanks for that reality check!

FUNDS was organized by Homeless Children's Education Fund. Which raises awareness of HCEF's efforts on behalf of youth experiencing homelessness in Allegheny County. Trent gave a lot of statistics that were very shocking to me and he mentioned ways to volunteer to help the cause, which is something I may look in to in the future because, like Trent said last night, it is hard to imagine that so many children face homelessness when we usually think of adults as the only people dealing with this issue. Homelessness in general is a topic that I plan on bringing up in the series of Peace'burgh, so I'm sure you'll be hearing about this event again from me, I thought it was absolutely fabulous and a great way to talk about something that usually people do not like to mention.

There are a couple more events this week coming from the HCEF if you want to check them out! Including an art installation/performance art piece called "Stand Up." This is a volunteer-based event where volunteers will be holding up pictures of actual homeless children in the area over their own faces (like a mask) and stand outside of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall for a moment of silence to portray the statistics and to act as a symbol for the children in Allegheny County facing homelessness. There will also be food from Franktuary provided afterwards for volunteers, which is reason enough to help out. Also, for those of you steel city runners out there, HCEF is also hosting a 5K Run/Walk at North Park on Saturday. This is a great cause to become involved with and this week is a perfect time to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love you for leaving a comment and do my best to reply to each one! I no longer accept anonymous commenting because of the amount of spam I was getting - I hope this isn't a problem for you. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...