10.31.2012

Last Minute Halloween Costume DIY

So after much love given to me because of my lovely Halloween costume from this year, I have decided to share with you how I created it because it was super easy and if you have yet to decide what you're going to be and need something for tonight and/or an outing this weekend, I'd be honored if you'd make your own iPod nano costume.

With beautiful friends, Holly and Heather at Buckheads.
That's right, for those of you who do not stalk my personal Facebook account, I was an iPod Nano. I would have preferred to be a pink one, because that is the one I have, but I was working on limited time and resources. However, I think it turned out to be a success and it lasted through the night of walking in the pre-Frankenstorm drizzle and through sweaty dancing inside of a PACKED Tiki-Lounge. (Which, by the way was a fabulous place to spend the evening. It was like a friend's awesome house party and had fantastic throw-backs and current hits in their music selection. You should check it out.)

On to the DIY...

You will need some kind of base fabric. Keep in mind what colors (pink, white, black, silver, yellow, green, red and blue) the iPod Nano comes in. For this, I found it to be easiest to go to Goodwill and find a skirt that was long enough to work as a dress if worn at tube-top level. This way you don't have to sew anything and elastic or a button is already in place so you know your costume will stay in place and you don't have to worry about pulling anything up all night. Your skirt should be PLAIN and as close to a pencil skirt as possible (or a-line for us curvy girls) so you appear to be a rectangle, like the nano. You will also need a small white t-shirt, Sharpie, blue highlighter, green highlighter, scissors, a large circle to trace and a magazine to trace.

1. Start by cutting the t-shirt in two. Cutting along the seams is the easiest.
2. Trace a circle on one half (I used the top of a hat box) and trace the magazine on the other half.
3. Write in/draw the elements of the Menu on the circle & the screen options on the rectangle.
4. If possible, cut out a square on the left hand side of the screen and staple a CD cover you don't mind using, behind it. This gives a more up-to-date iPod look.
5. Sew, safety pin, tape or glue the pieces onto your skirt or fabric. (I used safety pins and double-sided tape because, like I said, I made this about an hour before I left the house in it, so I didn't have time to sew.)
6. Rock out knowing your costume is BOMB and you paid less than $5 on it.

This picture was taken AFTER being worn all night...proud of it holding up. 



Hope you all have a fabulous Halloween! 

Love, Chels

6 comments:

  1. That is totally a cute idea!! I love it and I don't think I've ever seen anyone dress up as an iPod. The cover art is really good too! Hope you had a great Halloween! <3

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your costume is awesome!! I have zero creativity when it comes to Halloween, but will have to remember this one for next year! :)

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Steal the idea all you want but be sure to post about it so I can see it! :)

      Delete
  3. This is such an original Halloween costume! Very clever! I've seen a lot of great ones in the Bloggosphere over the past week, I'm impressed with the creativity!

    ReplyDelete

I love you for leaving a comment and do my best to reply to each one! I no longer accept anonymous commenting because of the amount of spam I was getting - I hope this isn't a problem for you. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...