10.01.2012

Pumpkin-Spiced Post

Hmmm...hello October! I am sure I am not alone when I say that October is quite possibly my favorite month, especially right here in Pennsylvania. The crisp air, the smell of summer fading out, leaves changing colors, sweaters, boots and scarves, the color orange, harvesting (whatever that means), and everything pumpkin flavored! Yum. I could just eat up October.

Photo by: Darrell Sapp / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (10/29/2004)
While I love all of the things I mentioned above, I also love to hate the scary stuff that October likes to bring out too. Halloween is that holiday that I love to celebrate because of the candy and dress-up factor but the haunted houses and scary movies are the little things that I always want to avoid, but just cannot do so because I love October and want to be fully immersed in it all. So just for you beautiful readers, I have compiled a list of must do's in and around Pittsburgh during my favorite month. These events are not the only ones that are going on, but are the ones that most sparked my interest based on what I know you all seem to be drawn to most, and of course things I wouldn't mind going to myself. Enjoy the month, the beautiful, the yummy and the scary...Happy October!



OngoingHaunted Pittsburgh Ghost Tours, Various locations
These folks know what they're doing when it comes to the scary. Tours run throughout the year, not just Halloween time, and are taking on the incline, downtown and Oakland. Learn a little Pittsburgh history and take a thrilling tour.
Kennywood is a go-to during any Pittsburgh tour, but during this time Fright Nights continues the summer fun of an amusement park, adds in some haunted houses and allows visitors to roam the park at night, with all the critters and creeps that lurk there in the dark.
Oct 4thThe Scarehouse Opens, in Etna, Pa
The Travel Channel said that this place is "One of America's Scariest Halloween Attractions." I think that's enough to say about this place.
Oct 5thPumpkin Patch Trolley Starts, in Washington, Pa
These trolley rides are the ultimate fall family fun event. Take the whole gang!
In the spirit of pet adoption, either bring along your own dog or come out to meet with some in need of a good home. Includes music, food and prizes will be given out for the pooches who come out in costume!
October is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. One way to help the cause is to bring your dog out for a one-mile walk, even if you don't have a dog, you are welcome to come out to support the Pittsburgh branch of Komen for the Cure.
Oct 12th – Beginning of Phipps Conservatory Fall Events
No better way to enjoy the beauty of fall than at a huge flower garden. Hope you don't have allergies!
Oct 13th – Beginning of Gateway Clipper Fleet Fall Cruises
The GCF loves sailing along the three rivers during the fall. Enjoy the sites on a sightseeing tour, fall foliage tour, Halloween dance cruise, and many others that will make you take a ridiculous amount of pictures of changing leaves.
German beer and traditional food. Enough said! Please take me with you!
Bonus points to whoever goes with me to this too! Put on your artsy pants and make your own glass pumpkin. Do you know the history of Pittsburgh and glass making? Make your own piece of history this fall!
Oct 20th – Bowling for Breast Cancer, at Amf BowlingCenter
Again, support the cause, wear your pink and throw some strikes.
This one's especially for the kiddos! I know some super loyal readers have little cuties that would love to show off their creativity by "editing" an old Halloween costume and this would be a great way to do it together.
One of the biggest and best adult Halloween parties in the 'burgh going on their 4th year. This party raises thousands of dollars for the organization, so party on for another good cause.

More than anything...enjoy the month. Enjoy the weather, the smells, tastes and sights, the crunchy leaves. Just enjoy the city and be jealous of this cutie who I get to spend all my months with, but especially my favorite month...and obviously her's too.
Nothing says October like Steelers and cute little black kitten!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love you for leaving a comment and do my best to reply to each one! I no longer accept anonymous commenting because of the amount of spam I was getting - I hope this isn't a problem for you. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...