7.17.2013

Why I Blog

Blogging on my new Mac at McDonald's with a hot fudge sundae ... oh, yeah.
I've been thinking about writing this post for a while now. Mostly because I think about this on a daily basis. Blogging has, maybe this is too obvious to mention, but it's become a bit more challenging now that I have moved an hour away from the city. Although I have kept up with posting and actually have been posting more since I graduated. Since I'm not there to experience different things everyday, it's become harder and harder to find things that are actually in this  blog's "genre." Which is Pittsburgh, if you haven't caught on to that yet.

I started this blog because when I first move into downtown Pittsburgh, I heard A LOT of negative feedback about my choice. Now, I'm not one to sway to other people's judgements of how I live my life, so this didn't bother me too much, but it did weigh on my mind. Living IN Pittsburgh, especially living downtown, was always a dream for me. I grew up an hour north of the city, went to college an hour south of it and really just knew it was fate when I was accepted to Duquesne and Point Park for grad school, because both are downtown in the city I adore. So when I made the move and then heard the not so positive feedback, I knew I had to do something.

That something first, was to live up every moment I was there, but quickly became this blog. Chels & the City was made to catalog my adventures of seeing new art, enjoying a city I have grown up loving, finding new places to eat and to really just show off all the good that comes with living in Pittsburgh. All the fun places to go, interesting people to meet, and just things in general to do. I really love this city.

Which (and I'm sure this goes without saying too) I miss it more than I ever thought possible. How could someone miss a place so much? But I do. I miss the daily wake up call of pigeons on my windowsill and traffic below my building. I miss my huge windows and space of my own. I miss the ability to walk out the door and have everything I need within a short walking distance. I miss stopping into a gallery opening or boutique on my way to a class or a restaurant I've never been to before. I miss working at tourist attractions and listening to people talk about the little things they are slowing learning about our great city. I miss the fountains, the rivers, the bridges and the buildings, new and old. I miss seeing fireworks reflecting off of those buildings out my window every time the Pirates score and the sound of "HEATHHHHHH" coming across the river when the Steelers' Heath Miller makes another impossible catch. I miss the starless sky and the way my heels sound when I walk on different kinds of cement all throughout downtown. Mostly, I just miss being there and knowing from morning to night, I made a dream come true.

And that is why I blog. Growing up being that kid who likes to write, I was always told if you're going to write about something, it should be something you love, something you know well and want to continue a "relationship" with. My "relationship" with Pittsburgh is something I love, something I know well and something I will continue to love and continue to get excited about. So if you start seeing a little more of the Chels side than you do the City for a little bit, just know that soon enough we'll be back together. Woof, this is starting to sound like a cheesy romance novel. Anyway, while I might not be there now, I plan to get back there soon and I plan to continue this blog. So if there is something you're planning and want me to review, let me know. If there is someone awesome in the city doing something you think is really great and deserves attention, send me an email. I'll try my best to get to any events around the 'burgh and certainly to interview people who are making the city an even greater place to be.

I really do love blogging and I love the community, in and out of Pittsburgh, that I've built so far, so let's keep this thing going! Let's continue to show why Pittsburgh is an amazing place to live and play! One of my goals for this year is to make this blog grow like mad, so if you've got an idea, an event, a friend, whatever, that you think needs a mention, let's talk about it. Sorry this post got on the lengthy side, but I'm proud of you if you made it to the end. Which is right here.


6 comments:

  1. I think as long as you are passionate about whatever you decide to write about, it will be great! Being from a small town then moving to the suburbs, I don't get a lot of "city life" ha ha! It's fun to read about others adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best to bring you the city side of things haha

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great post! I always love to know why people blog and I think your reasons are perfect and I think your blog embodies everything you seem to be passionate about. It's the perfect blend of Pittsburgh and you -- which is definitely the point. I think it's okay to shift the focus of your blog to fit your changing life and I don't think it's a problem. In fact, a little change is always good for you and your blog. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly love reading about places I've never been to before. I think it's great that you loved the city you live in and miss it so much. I am pretty passionate about where I live,too, and at the same time the are cities I've lived in that I miss and wish I could write more about and share with others. I hope you get to move back! Jess L

    ReplyDelete

I love you for leaving a comment and do my best to reply to each one! I no longer accept anonymous commenting because of the amount of spam I was getting - I hope this isn't a problem for you. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...